Monday, May 31, 2010

Things are looking bright

Well, this has been quite an interesting couple of days. I have been to a 2 college graduations, witnessed a school wide collaborationeffort, witnessed a perfect game by a Phillie, and have been communicating with people from other countries. Needless to say, it has been very exciting!

However, this blog will not focus on the many different events that I have witnessed this weekend, but rather it will be a reflection on what I believe was the most well planned and coordinated event by an elementary school that I have ever heard for. After what I saw, the future is looking bright.......

The "Eurasian Quest Arts Night" presented by Brigantine Elementary School was this past Thursday, and I was fortunate enough to attend. There each of the hallways in their school were set up as different "countries," and each country had elements of art, music, food, dance, costumes, and more. It was clear that the whole town was involved, and it really showed as you walked through the school. The kids were so excited about all of their hard work finally being displayed for everyone to see, and the parents looked on proudly as their students sung a song in Russian. If you did not get to go this year, I highly suggest you put it on your list for next year.

The one thing that stood out from the entire night was the "Wikipikis" portion of the night. In this portion the students (3rd GRADE STUDENTS) all created their own own "wikipikis" or, in our terms, their own wiki space. Each student was given a username and password, which enabled the teacher to monitor all information put onto the sites, and the kids were given criteria and they completed it. It was amazing! It really got me thinking about next year and the possibility of having my students create websites as an alternative to traditional MLA style writing. If third graders can create wikis with ease, shouldn't my high school students be able to do the same?

ONE LAST NOTE! I am babysitting this whole week for my brother. Check out me and my niece hanging:

No comments:

Post a Comment