Sunday, May 9, 2010

Blogging is the WHAT

Lately, I have been into having my students "blog" as much as possible. When the students are blogging in my class, they feel as though they are not even working, which is actually the complete opposite of what they are doing. I have learned that blogging is an incredible way to get students to practice their writing skills without it feeling like writing.

My class blog is located here on blogger, and it is set up in a way that each specific class has their own individual blogging page. I attempt to post a new blog entry once a week, and then the students respond to the blog over when I can get us time in the IMC. Here is a link to my English "Blogging" Homepage, once you are here you can view each individual classes' blogs by clicking on the various links.

One element of the blogging that I absolutely LOVE about blogging, is that it allows the classes to interact with each other's works. Many times while blogging, the students venture to different class periods pages, so that they can see the work their friends did or did not do. As the students become more and more familiar with the entire format of this blogging page, they begin to use their peers' work as examples and non-examples. They have discovered that they others will read their work, so they almost always attempt to post well thought out entries.

Although I am definitely in favor of using blogs in English Class, I have a few reservations about the process. One of my major reservations - at this point in time - is, in fact, time! In order for my students to affectively read and respond to a blog post they almost certainly need an entire period. This, to me, is a little bit too long. Especially when one day a week is already dedicated to PCR; another day of blogging leaves me to 3 days to teach! I am hoping that next year I will be able to get my students to blog on their time. My plan is to model blogging as much as possible in September and October, and, hopefully, by November the students will be willing and able to Blog on their time!!

Blog On! and Go Phils!

1 comment:

  1. What does the "WHAT" mean? Next year I plan on incorporating a class blog, I cant wait to pick you brain.

    ReplyDelete